CARING FOR YOUR JEWELRY
If it is properly taken care of, your gold jewelry will keep its timeless luster, last a lifetime and remain a great investment piece or treasured heirloom for future generations. Here are some tips on how to treat your favorite jewelry pieces.
- Apply your perfumes, colognes, and hairsprays before you put on gemstone jewelry; Not only will these chemicals reduce gem brilliance, the ability to return light, they can be highly destructive to some gems, such as pearls, which react violently to acid and alcohol.. Be sure to put these things on before your jewelry to limit the exposure.
- Remove your gold jewelry before showering, bathing, or cleaning. The exposure to soap and chemicals can dull the gold, necessitating more frequent cleanings. It can also scratch or break down the gold, which is a soft metal and easily damaged.
- Don’t wear your gold jewelry in the pool. Chlorine, like other chemicals, can permanently discolor gold. You should take your jewelry off before going into a hot tub or swimming pool.
- Take off your jewelry before doing strenuous activity or messy tasks. The gym isn't the place for your pearl pendant!
- Protect Your Gemstones from Sunlight and Heat: The harsh rays of the sun can be harmful to not just your skin but your stone jewelry as well. Heat and light can impact a precious stone’s color and durability. Sudden temperature changes and extreme heat can also cause a fracture in some gemstones. Some gems like pearls run the risk of getting bleached, drying up and cracking. So, always take care to keep your gemstones away from sunlight and heat.
Store your gold jewelry separately. It’s important to make sure your pieces of gold jewelry don’t touch any other jewelry when they’re being stored. Because gold is a soft metal, it can easily scratch or bend out of shape if it comes into contact with other pieces of jewelry.
- If you don’t have enough space to store each piece separately, try wrapping each piece in a soft cloth.
- Hang up gold chains if possible. This prevents them from getting tangled; trying to untangle gold chains can easily break them.
- Buff your gold jewelry occasionally. Even if your jewelry doesn’t need to be cleaned, buffing it occasionally is a good way to maintain it. Use a soft chamois cloth and gently rub the surface of the piece. It can help restore the shine of the jewelry right away, without further cleaning.
EXTRA CARE TIPS FOR PEARLS
Pearls are different from other gemstones in that they are made or organic material. Quality pearls are very durable, but proper care is necessary to keep your pearl jewelry beautiful and lustrous.
Here are important tips to care for your pearls in addition to the above tips
- The best way to treat your pearls is to wear them often! Pearls do best in a moist environment, so wearing them frequently keeps them from drying out. Easiest. Advice. Ever.
- Gently wipe pearls with a soft cloth to remove sweat, perfume, excess oils or dirt before putting them away
- Pearls should be stored away from other objects or jewelry that may scratch their surfaces. Wrap the pearls in linen, soft cloth, or place in a soft pouch.
- Do NOT store pearls in an airtight package such as a plastic bag: remember, pearls need moisture.
CLEANING YOUR JEWELRY
When worn regularly, your gold jewelry is exposed to skin oils, perspiration, dust, makeup, and more. To keep its shine, clean your jewelry at home; but don’t overdo it! Only clean your jewelry as needed when it’s visibly dirty or gathering a patina.
During your regular jewelry cleanings, be on the lookout for any damage or loose stones. Cleaning damaged pieces can only make the problem worse.
Follow the below steps to clean your jewelry;
- In a bowl mix some warm water with a few drops of liquid dish soap.
- Soak your gold jewelry pieces for up to 3 hours (diamond and gemstone jewelry should not be soaked)
- Scrub the jewelry gently with your hands, if the piece has many crevices you can use a very soft brush to clean it (do not use a brush on pearls)
- Rinse in clean water (preferably the same temperature) and blot dry with a cloth (it’s better to use a bowl or a colander to keep your jewelry safe)
- For an extra shine, use a jewelry polishing cloth after cleaning. Do not use a paper towel or tissue as these can scratch your jewelry.
It’s recommended to take your jewelry to a jeweler once a year to be professionally cleaned. We’re happy to provide this service for free for our customers in Jordan.
HOW TO STORE YOUR GOLD JEWELRY
After you’ve worn and cleaned your gold jewelry for the day, the next step in taking proper care of it is to store it properly.
- Use a jewelry box: a clean, dry, fabric-lined jewelry box is the best option.
- Wrap each piece in a soft cloth
- Store pieces separately: this prevents jewelry from tangling or scratching each other.